Serves 5-6!Don't take the name of this soup too literally. It has hamburger meat & it has cheese. Those are about the only similarities that make it close to a cheeseburger. It doesn't taste like a cheeseburger either, but this is one of my favorites! Especially with thin slices of french bread!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 TBPS. dried parsley
- 4 TBSP. margarine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups hash brown potatoes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces Velveeta, CUBED
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream
2. While you're browning your hamburger, slice your celery, onion, and carrots.
3. By now your hamburger should be done, so drain it and set it aside.
4. Melt 1 TBPS. of the butter in the same pan you used to brown your hamburger. Add the celery, onion, carrots, parsley and basil to the pan. Saute until the veggies are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Add the broth, hashbrowns, and cooked hamburger to the veggies. Reduce the heat and simmer, about 5-10 minutes so the potatoes can get tender.
6.While thats simmering, melt the remaining butter in a small sauce pan. Whisk the flour into butter. You should have a smooth mixture, so stir and cook until bubbly, about 3-5 minutes.
7. Add the butter/flour mixture to the soup, and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low.
8. Add the cheese, milk and salt and pepper to the pot. Cook and stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat. Add the sour cream. Remember to cube your cheese before you add to the pot, or it will take forever to melt!
Stir well, serve immediately and ENJOY!